Monday, September 5, 2011

Week 1: In the Bag

Over the past few years Mr. Granola and I have spent too many late nights drinking and eating burritos.  Since our big day is approaching we have been re-evaluating our lifestyle choices.  Besides dabbling in vegetarianism a few times we normally weren't super concerned with were our food was coming from.  I don't mean that we were eating red meat and take out every week- in actuality we have only cooked red meat once in the past 6 months.  However we were still eating chicken, fish and turkey several times a week and not getting enough greens.  So last week I took a stand and told Mr. Granola that I wasn't cooking meat anymore and that we were cutting out dairy almost completely.  It's funny because in our families we were already seen as the odd-balls for simple things like black bean burgers, recycling, composting, and really anything else at all environmentally conscious.  (we are both from small towns in the south)  So here are my new immediate goals for our new food lifestyle:

1) No meat
2) Juicing at least once a day
3) Make more trips to the farmer's market (instead of one weekly trip)
4) Buy organic and local when possible
5) No pre-packaged products only ingredients

A few things I have learned this week:

1) I love kale (and Kale Chips)
2) I don't love cheese as much as I thought
3) One piece of pizza mid week won't kill me (pesto!)
4) Not all beers are vegan (found some new awesome ones that were though- Unearthly IPA)
5) Mr. Granola ate a burger : (
6) It's hard to take pictures while you are cooking

Later this week I will try to fill you in on our menu and any new wedding plans that might arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment